In my profession, I often hear the expression “Motion is Lotion”. I take this to mean that the more we move, the better we move.
Regular movement avoids stiffening of the joints and ensures that blood flow brings essential nutrients and oxygen to the muscles. Our bodies are not designed to remain motionless for any amount of time and therefore any form of exercise and movement must be beneficial. Natural movements such as walking, running, jumping, lifting and climbing improve our strength, flexibility and bone density – vital to maintaining health as we age.
I am going to focus today on WALKING as it is a natural movement that can be undertaken by almost everyone, relatively simply and cheaply. You just need a bit of time and some supportive shoes. If you want any help or advice with becoming more active, please get in touch.
The main benefits to regular walking are:
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight (or weight loss) by increasing metabolism and building toned, lean muscles,
- Reduced stress and improved mood,
- Cardiovascular benefits (Heart and circulation),
- Low impact so suitable for most people and less chance of injury,
- Cheap and easy access.
- Connection with nature, away from screens with space to let your mind wander,
- Benefit of access to free Vitamin D top up during the summer months.