Following on from my MASCED (Melanoma and Skin Cancer Early Detection) accreditation, I would like to share the following facts about skin cancer with you all.
Skin Cancer is the UKs most common cancer and incident rates are growing faster than any other cancer. It can affect all ages and skin types.
Nearly all skin cancers are caused by over exposure to the sun. Damage is cumulative and preventable. Many patients have been burnt as children with symptoms appearing later in life.
Please follow the 5 S’s of sun safety:
- Slip on some clothes (best protection from rays)
- Slop on sun cream (at least SPF30)
- Slap on a wide brimmed hat Slide on sunglasses (protect your eyes)
- Shade from the sun (especially between 11am and 3pm)
- Regularly check your skin and get partners to help. If anything looks or feels wrong or changes, get it checked out by a medical professional